Saturday, August 20, 2011

Well, I do declare...we’re in Georgia…y’all

Our morning in Savannah provided us enough time to see a few key sites: the Riverwalk, which includes the iconic Waving Girl; historic downtown; and, most importantly, the square where Forrest Gump told his story and shared his chocolates.





In Chippewa Square, where the Forrest Gump bench scenes were filmed.

[EDIT:Mason - That's all I have to say about that]

Regretfully, we were unable to find the inscription from 1921 that I mentioned earlier (boo hoo), but we were able to find the old elementary school on the corner of Bull Street and 34th.  Fortunately, it has been refurbished to serve as one of the halls for the Savannah College of Art and Design. The last time we saw the school, it was boarded up.  It’s come a long way.


We arrived in St. Simons Island later in the day where we checked into the King & Prince, a resort property on the south side of the island right near the village and pier.


Chillax'n at the K&P.

You guys want to get up at 6:30?  Ok...put on your suits!

We spent a great part of our time in the St. Simons with my aunt and uncle, Elizabeth and Fred.  They hosted us for a couple of terrific dinners as well as a day at the Sea Island Beach Club.  We also got to spend time with Becky, my cousin, and her husband, Casey – this was a highlight for me.

In da club with GREAT Aunt Eliz.
 
Our GREAT Uncle Frisky


St. Simons and Sea Island will always hold a special place with me because this is where I spent our summer vacations every year for most of the time I was growing up. The Golden Isles…there’s nothing like them…


I hope Mom and Dad don't see the photos from the rest of our night!

[EDIT:Mason - I didn't grow up here. My summers were spent mowing 14 acres of grass on a farm in Northern Minnesota. But hey that was special to me also.]



No comments:

Post a Comment